Frequently Asked Questions About Shoulder Pain Answered By Our Louisville Chiropractor
At Highland Chiropractic, we work with people of all ages who are inspired to seek out chiropractic care for help managing common conditions like back pain and headaches. Shoulder pain is another frequently seen condition at our clinic, and we're happy to answer your questions about this broad issue!.
What Are The Causes of Shoulder Pain?
Shoulder pain can happen in children and teens as well as adults and seniors. We see it often in athletes, people with physically demanding jobs, or even desk jobs. In short, just about anyone can get shoulder pain. Common risk factors include:
- Repetitive movement, especially overhead
- Poor posture (especially if slouching in a chair or while using a smartphone)
- Acute trauma, such as a fall, a sports injury, or an auto accident injury
- Other underlying health conditions, like osteoarthritis, septic arthritis, whiplash, cervical radiculopathy (nerve impingement in the neck), fibromyalgia, and depression
What Symptoms Are Associated With Shoulder Pain?
Shoulder pain signs and symptoms vary depending on the underlying diagnosis. Our patients frequently report the following:
- Tenderness and pain that may be all over the shoulder or in a specific area and/or with specific movement
- Inability to lean on affected shoulder
- Inability to lift arm
- Numbness, pain, and tingling in the arm
- Clicking, popping, or a feeling of instability at the shoulder joint
- Swelling and redness
What Are Common Causes of Shoulder Pain?
Acute cases of shoulder pain often include muscle strains, rotator cuff tears, ligament sprains or injury, and shoulder dislocations. If left untreated, these conditions can lead to more chronic inflammation, excessive scar tissue, and shoulder joint instability.
Chronic causes of shoulder pain among our patients include impingement syndrome (rotator cuff compression and inflammation), tendonitis, and frozen shoulder, aka adhesive capsulitis (this causes a progressively worsening range of motion limitations).
How Can a Chiropractor in Louisville KY Treat Shoulder Pain?
Our chiropractor in Louisville KY can alleviate your shoulder pain in a variety of ways:
- Spinal adjustments (good for back pain and shoulder pain!) help realign your shoulder girdle as it rests on the rib cage and thoracic spine, and triggers natural pain relief by promoting the release of pain-reducing hormones
- Non-invasive modalities like therapeutic ultrasound and electrical stimulation, to block pain, relieve muscle spasms and increase circulation
- Corrective exercises, prescribed with specific goals in mind (increase circulation and tissue healing or improve strength, range of motion, and stability)
This list is not all-inclusive, so come see us to discover your individualized shoulder pain program!
Is Your Shoulder Painful and Dysfunctional?
Contact our chiropractor in Louisville KY and schedule an appointment at Highland Chiropractic. Our phone number is 502-454-5000.